Adding a trans cooler to your 4l80e will ensure you have thousands of trouble free miles, and transmission temps stay within a suitable range. Since the nature of the 4l80e is to be capable of handling harsher than average conditions, you need a transmission coolers that’s able to keep up.
As we discussed in our 4l80e transmission guide, a transmission cooler is a great upgrade that will instantly help improve your transmission by lowering temps, but will increase its longevity as well.
Based on this, we recommend the Tru Cool 40k, B&M 70274, and Derale 15960 as the best transmission cooler upgrades. All 3 of these transmission coolers are very capable of keeping trans temps low even in extreme conditions. We have featured all 3 of these transmission coolers in other guides such as our towing and drag racing transmission cooler guide.
Installing a transmission cooler such as the Tru Cool 40k, B&M 70274, or Derale 15960, which we believe are the best transmission coolers for a 4l80e, will drastically lower transmission temperatures and help with the longevity of your transmission and fluid.
|Transmission Cooler||Direct Fit||Price|
|Tru Cool Max LPD47391||No||Shop Now|
|B&M 70274||No||Shop Now|
|Derale 15960||No||Shop Now|
Tru Cool 40k Specs
The Tru Cool 40k is a favorite of ours when it comes to universal transmission coolers used on trucks or SUV’s. There are certainly other transmission coolers that might be larger or include a fan, but for the cost consistent performance, and simplicity, it’s hard to go against the Tru Cool 40k for the money.
Like all Tru Cool transmission coolers, these are capable of handing abuse without breaking the bank, which is a great selling point for the budget minded 4l80e owner. We have recommended the Tru Cool 40k a number of times, and rightfully so. You cannot go wrong with this cooler on any truck that does any towing or hauling. Not only that, this cooler is very popular with the performance truck crowd as well.
Cooler Dimensions: 8 1/2″ x 22″ x 1 1/4″
GVW: 40,000 pounds
BTU Rating: 45,000
Fitting Size: 3/8″ inverted flare hex with 5/8″ thread size – This is great for those looking to install custom transmission lines
Installation Kit: Yes – Includes universal installation kit with rubber transmission line, various fittings, clamps, and mounting hardware
- PROTECTION - When an auxiliary transmission oil cooler is required for your vehicle, Tru-Cool Max delivers optimal protection with double the cooling performance of our other products.
- RELIABLE - Durable brazed aluminum construction with a lifetime guarantee
- HIGH COOLING POWER - Maintain lower temperatures in your transmission and lubricant with Tru-Cool and extend the life of the vehicle you depend on.
- PERFORMANCE RATED - Drive hard. Rest easy. Get the OE advantage that comes from a Tru-Cool LPD transmission oil cooler plus the proven cooling that can help you protect your investment and your warranties.
Like many B&M SuperCooler transmission coolers, the 70274 is designed to handle high abuse situations and disperses of heat extremely efficiently. In our more in depth product review of the B&M 70274, we cover how the cooler is a direct fit application that requires little effort installing.
Overall, if you have a 4l80e equipped truck, SUV, or swapped into a fun streetcar, this cooler can’t be beat for the performance it provides. Because of this, we recommend it in our Best Sierra & Silverado Transmission Coolers write up.
B&M 70274 Specs
Cooler Dimensions: 11″ x 11″ x 1 1/2″
Cooler Type: Stacked Plate
Cooling Rows: 48
GVW: 29,200 (BTU)
Fitting Size: 1/2″ NPT
- Rigid stacked-plate design is resistant to damage, and much better at cooling than ordinary 'fin and tube' coolers
- Constructed from black finished lightweight aluminum alloy for maximum corrosion resistance
- 11" x 11" x 1-1/2" racing model is rated at 29,200 BTU, and pressure tested to 200 PSI
- Fluxless, oven brazed construction is vibration resistant
- Multiple oil flow paths for maximum cooling efficiency
The Derale 15960 transmission cooler is a stacked plate style cooler with 25 cooling rows and an 8″ fan that flows 500+ CFM. This combo was designed for maximum transmission cooling efficiency, and will certainly keep your 4l80e nice and cool. On its own, the cooler itself is rated for 30,000 GVW, but with the addition of the fan, it’s capable of a lot more.
This cooler, like many other Derale transmission coolers comes complete with an installation kit that includes 10 ft of transmission hose, fittings, and clamps to aid in the mounting process. While the cooler comes with the fittings and extra rubber hose, the fitting on the cooler are -8AN, so custom lines with AN fittings are certainly an option as well.
One of the nice features of the Derale 15960 is that it comes with a thermostat that will automatically turn the fan on when transmission temperatures flowing into the cooler reach 180 degrees. This is great to have for the user who is looking for a 100% worry free transmission cooler.
Overall, the Derale 15960 transmission cooler can be mounted almost anywhere. Making it a popular addition for performance cars, hot rods, muscle cars and trucks.
Derale 15960 Specs
Cooler Dimensions: 13″ x 10″ x 5 5/8″ (includes fan height)
Cooler Type: Stacked Plate
Cooling Rows: 25
GVW: 46,000 (BTU)
Fitting Size: -10AN / 7/8″-14 o-ring female x -8AN male
- Mounts anywhere space permits. Mounting-7-1/2 x 9 inches
- Electric fan supplies optimum airflow
- Dramatically extends engine and transmission life
- High efficiency stacked plate cooler